Choosing the right style for you
Style is all about your personal appearance ranging from the way you do your hair to the clothes that you wear. It is so important not to get your style wrong, but this is a mistake many people do make, usually unintentionally. You want to make a great first impression on a date, and seeing as your appearance is the first thing your date will see about you, it is important that you get it right and look your best. Having style doesn’t mean you have to spend a fortune on clothes and accessories; it is simply about making the right choices. Educating yourself on what suits you and what doesn’t is vital. It is also important that you are comfortable in your appearance, both physically and mentally. Here we have outlined our top style tips for men and women.
Style tips for men
- Always be smart and look like you have made an effort, regardless of the date location. Being smart will show that you want to be on the date. Appearing like you haven’t been bothered to make an effort for the date will only go against you and be apparent to your date that you don’t want to be there.
- Make sure that your clothes are a perfect fit. Wearing baggy clothes is just as bad as wearing clothes that are too tight; they do nothing for you.
- Avoid comedy clothes and accessories, t-shirts with slogans or cartoon characters and even novelty cufflinks. This attire is not suitable for a first date. You risk offending your date with unsuitable t-shirts with slogans, or simply making a fool of yourself.
- If going on a date that is quite formal, don’t wear a suite if you aren’t comfortable wearing one. Formal wear will be required, but there is no point wearing a suit if you won’t be able to relax. It will be apparent to your date that you aren’t comfortable, and you don’t want them to think that it is their company you are uncomfortable with. Smart trousers and a shirt will suffice.
- A relaxing bath or shower prior to a date is vital. Not only will it make you smell good, it can also calm you down if you are nervous.
- Anti-perspirant deodorant is a must. No one likes to see wet patches under arms, plus it isn’t pleasant to experience.
- Don’t overdo the aftershave. You want to smell nice, but not reek like you have taken a bath in it.
- Keep jewellery to a minimum. Too much jewellery can make you look like you are trying to be cool, with the opposite effect.
- Always make sure nails are trimmed and clean. No one likes looking at dirty nails, and women may think twice about holding your hand.
- Hair should be neat and tidy and styled, if required. Always wash your hair before a date to make sure it smells pleasant.
- Always shave, or tidy up facial hair. You don’t want to appear scruffy for your first date.
- It can be a good idea to cover up tattoos on a first date. This is a personal choice though. There is no harm in covering them up initially, then showing your date once you mention them.
- Don’t overlook your footwear. Make sure you wear comfortable smart shoes. Whether your date is formal or casual, footwear must be in good condition. Sandals aren’t a great suggestion, especially if your feet aren’t in the best condition.
- Always compliment your date on their style. A compliment can go a long way.
Style tips for women
- Take a relaxing bath or shower before a date, remembering to wash your hair. A long soak in a bath can do wonders for nerves, plus leave you smelling great.
- It is important to wear a well fitted bra. Wearing a bra that fits can make such a difference to an outfit. If you aren’t sure, it is a good idea to get yourself measured, most stores that sell underwear will do this for you. It is okay to show off a little cleavage, but don’t overdo it.
- Choose an outfit that suits your body shape and age. Don’t wear something just because you like it; it has to suit you too. Wear an outfit that will emphasise your good points and hide or take the attention away from your flaws. Make sure your chosen outfit isn’t too big or too small, which can make you look much larger than you are. If you aren’t sure what suits you, ask friends for their opinion. Do this several days before the date to make sure you don’t rush at the last minute.
- Hair should be styled and under control. The last thing you want is to be fixing your hair throughout the date. If hairspray is required, then only use a little. If possible avoid using it. Hairspray doesn’t smell great, plus it isn’t very nice to touch.
- Remember to remove hair from your legs and under arms. If you are wearing a skirt or dress, then it is always nice to have smooth legs. Under arm hair doesn’t look great, especially if you are wearing a stylish top.
- Keep make up simple and avoid bright colours. Too much make up and bright colours can make you look cheap. Simple make up that looks natural is elegant, which is much more appealing than looking cheap.
- If you wear nail polish, stick to neutral colours. Bright nail polish can look silly, depending on its colour and your age. If you do decide to wear a bold colour, make sure it isn’t chipped.
- Minimise your jewellery. Too much can make you look cheap. A small selection of elegant jewellery is enough.
- Don’t put on too much perfume. You want to smell nice, not make your date choke. If you can smell your perfume on yourself then you have a little too much on. If you put some on and can’t smell it after a few minutes, then you have the right amount on.
- Don’t treat your date as a fashion show. Wearing only designer labels could make you look like a fashion victim. Men may feel like they can’t cope with your expensive taste.
- Always wear shoes that you can actually walk in. It is no good wearing shoes that look great if you can’t walk in them, which defeats the object. Wear shoes that go with your outfit, and preferably ones that fit properly and are comfortable to wear.