Advice for a first date – What to do?
Choosing what to do for your first date can be tricky, after all, it’s probable you hardly know each other, or at least not in a romantic way. The best thing to do is to keep it simple and stick to a reasonable budget. The aim is to get to know each other, therefore choose a type of date that will allow you to do that. Ask your date where they would like to go and if they can’t decide then make a suggestion yourself. You’ll tell by their reaction if they like your idea or not. Maybe to start with you could suggest your favourite restaurant or coffee shop. Try to avoid somewhere noisy such as a concert or club as you won’t be able to talk to each other and get to know them.
Advice for a first date – Be Prepared
Preparation is vital for a successful first date. By planning every aspect of your date, you shouldn’t have any issues.
- Once you know where you’re going for your date, prepare how you’re going to get to and from the date. Whether you choose to drive, walk or use public transport, always make sure you are able to get home afterwards. It might be worth doing a trial run of the journey if you’re going somewhere you’re not familiar with. If you’ve made arrangements to visit a bar or restaurant you’ve never been to, you could always check it out with your friends beforehand.
- Once you know where you’re going for your date, prepare your outfit. Decide with plenty of time to spare just in case you need to wash it or even buy something new. A wardrobe crisis is the last thing you need before a first date.
- Think about what you could discuss and prepare some conversation starters. This should help to avoid any awkward silences. Even if you have to write your ideas down to remember them that’s fine, simply pop to the toilets to look at your list if you feel the conversation is drying up.
- Most importantly, prepare how to keep yourself safe on a first date. Your date is still a stranger to you therefore it’s vital you stay cautious. Our article on ‘Meeting your date in person’ will tell you everything you need to know about staying safe on a first date.
Advice for a first date – Top Tips
You want your first date to be perfect, so keep these top tips in mind when planning a first date.
- Be flexible when it comes to choosing your date location. Make some suggestions, but be willing to go wherever your date would rather go.
- Ensure you look smart, are clean, and wearing appropriate clothing for the date location. For clothing advice, see our article on ‘Choosing your first date clothing.’
- Arrive on time. Being late shows a lack of respect for your date and the date could get off to a bad start.
- It’s perfectly acceptable to flirt with your date but in moderation. For flirting advice check out our article ‘How to Flirt.’
- Prepare some conversation ideas. As previously mentioned, the last thing you want is long periods of silence during the date.
- Avoid using your mobile phone, unless it’s vital. You should be giving your date all your attention and vice versa.
- If you don’t agree with your date’s points of view, don’t argue with them. Simply try to change the conversation topic.
- Even if you feel the date isn’t going well, don’t give up. Feeling nervous can cause awkwardness on a first date, so give it a chance before you give up.
- Have fun. Dating is supposed to be fun, so try to enjoy yourself.