What to wear on a first date – Having style
Having style is simply wearing the clothes that suit you and make you feel comfortable. All you need to do is learn how to dress for success and get your style right. Style is not about wearing designer labels, having that ‘must-have’ accessory that all the celebrities have or following the latest trends. All you need to have is a little confidence and be self-aware and you will be able to make the most of what you have. Simply concentrate on your good aspects and you will look good and have genuine appeal.
What to wear on a first date – Tips for women
What to wear on a first date can be difficult as you probably don’t know your date well enough to know what they do and do not like. Here are some top tips for women to help you decide what to wear on a first date.
- Keep jewellery to a bare minimum. Lots of jewellery will make you cheap.
- Don’t overdo it with the makeup. Always remember less is definitely more.
- Avoid brightly coloured nail polishes and lipsticks.
- Avoid hair spray, it is just not nice.
- Go easy with the perfume, if you can smell it strongly, then you have put too much on.
- Don’t look too trendy, your friends might be jealous of your latest outfit but your date might not follow fashion and may wonder what you are wearing.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to shop for an outfit. Doing this will stress you out and you don’t need that on the day of your date.
- If you blush or get flushed when you drink alcohol then it is a good idea to use a colour correcting base (green coloured foundation).
- Wear a bra that fits and have the confidences to show a touch of cleavage. It is astonishing how many women wear the wrong size bra. If you are not sure, most department stores and lingerie shops have free bra fitting services.
- For some clothing suggestions, please see our article clothing advice for women.
What to wear on a first date – Tips for men
What to wear on a first date can be even more difficult for men. Style and fashion might normally be considered to be a female thing but there is no reason for men not to bother. Here are some top tips for men to help you decide what to wear on a first date.
- If you don’t feel comfortable wearing a suit then don’t wear one, you will looking uncomfortable and uptight and it might make your date feel that is it them making you feel like that.
- Always look like you have made an effort and be as smart as possible. Looking like you have not bothered will come across arrogant and is insulting to your date.
- Leave the humorous clothes and accessories at home. Novelty cufflinks look silly, T-shirts with slogans might offend and cartoon ties just look absurd. This sort of clothing is never right for a first date.
- Clothes that are too small or too big always look bad. Always wear clothes that fit properly. If you are not sure when you are buying them, ask the shop assistant for help, that is what they are there for.
- Remember that less is more so minimise jewellery and aftershave.
- Wet underarms are never attractive so always wear antiperspirant deodorant.
- Only wear sandals if you have very good feet, if in doubt then avoid.
- Do not try to impress your date with your knowledge of fashion, especially if you have no idea what you are talking about; remember they might know more than you.
- Tattoos can be contentious, some women hate tattoos, but others love them. If you have tattoos it is best to keep them covered for the first date.
- Always compliment your date on what she is wearing, women love to be flattered.
- For some clothing suggestions, please see our article clothing advice for men.